THE HISTORY OF THE BUTLER'S HOUSE
The house was built in the late eighteenth century as the Butler's residence for the neighbouring Soutergate House and until the mid 1980's the two buildings were still internally connected by the servants' stairs. Although built as a grand family home, the main house (including our wing of it) has served many purposes over the years including: a Doctor's surgery, a school, a boarding house and as a meeting place for the local Women's Union. It also had connections with Ulverston workhouse. In more recent times, this part of the building was used as the local Conservative party office. It had been empty for some years when we purchased it in April 2014 and it has taken us almost eighteen months to restore this lovely building to its former glory.
1930's fireplace - sent to a new home